Saturday, November 12, 2005

Goodbye Jordan


I went to a funeral yesterday. It was an exhausting day. Lots of tears and hugs and reflection about a good friend who has touched many lives. Darrel Jordan Childs was one of those guys that once you met him, you get the sense that this guy was special. He has that "infectious" personality. He was a great guy. We all use to play poker once a month ( that's all we can really get away with our wives) and Jordan was the "MAN". He knew all the games, and he seemed to be teaching us a new game every time we met. His mantra was " YOU'VE GOTTA PAY TO PLAY". And he did. Often he will be so into the game that he has to "DOUBLE DIP". Which means that he has to go into his pocket and take out more money, because he lost all of his initial ante, but often times as well, we all double dip. But that is how he lived his life. It was always fun, and it was a privilege to have shared those times with a man that all of us agree makes us want to be a better human being.
Jordan left behind a wife and two beautiful children. That I guess is what hits home for me. He is a little older than I am and I can't imagine what his family is going through. I have a son, and it kills me to think about my wife raising my son without me. Life is not fair sometimes. They always said that god takes the good ones first. So, I think I will have to assault a few old ladies once a month, and maybe start lying about my golf scores. Or does it have to be drastic in order to prolong my life in this earth.

Jordan died of Cancer. I know so many now that died of Cancer that was close to me. It sucks. People say," you have to live your life everyday as if its your last day". But its harder than it sound. even though, I'm gonna give it a shot. You just don't know how long your gonna be in this world, might as well make the best of it. So, to Jordan...I promise to try to live my life a little fuller, a little brighter, and with more purpose because that's how you where. Thank you for everything that you shared with all of us.....The friendship, the wisdom, the disagreements, the laughters, poker, golf, football, video games, movies, business, family, and your kindness. You are still "THE MAN" and we will never forget you. Goodbye my friend.....You can rest assure that your family will be taken care of. You left behind a lot of friends and family that cared for you and your family. God needed you back sooner than expected. You have affected so many peoples lives in a positive way and you will always be an inspiration to me and my family. We will miss you and hope that someday we will all see each other again. I'll make sure I'll bring the poker chips just in case.

No comments: